The stuff of folklore and legend, these mythical, magical creatures have inspired us for centuries. If you're looking to name your little one after dragons, you'll love our list of dragon-themed names.
L. Elizabeth Forry
Updated: February 2, 2022
Dragons have enchanted us for centuries and myths about dragons are common in cultures around the world. Think of dragons, and we imagine magic and adventure. As a child, dragons enthralled me… My dad had an extensive model dragon collection which I loved to look at.
More: 75 Fairy Names for Your Magical Little One
Dragons are universal, though in different cultures they take on different appearances. Dragon folklore exists in Chinese, Norwegian, English, Welsh, Japanese, Vietnamese, Eastern European, and Greek cultures, to name a few!
While dragons look different depending on where across the world each legend comes from, they still have many things in common. Anthropologists think that myths about dragons surfaced when ancient people found dinosaur skeletons and tried to make sense of what they saw. After all, no animals on earth looked anything like the bones they dug up.
We’ve compiled a list of names from various cultures tied to dragon mythology, history, and pop culture. While some of these unique names may be a bit obscure to use for your little one, it is fascinating to see how widespread dragon influence is. This list brings together unique names from all over the world.
And who knows, maybe somewhere on this list, you will find the perfect baby name for your little girl or boy. We hope you do!
Dragon Girl Names
- Adalinda - Old High German. Dragon princess. We love the fiery yet feminine feel this name has.
- Anastasia - Greek. Resurrection. A Dragonborn name from Dungeons & Dragons.
- Belinda - German. Bright serpent.
- Chumana - Native American/Hopi. Snake maiden.
- Chusi - Native American/Hopi. Snake flower.
- Dalinda - English. Noble serpent.
- Hydra - Greek. The 100-headed water dragon that Hercules slays.
- Kaida - Japanese. Little dragon.
- Kaliyah - Hindi. Killer of the multi-headed serpent.
- Kayda - Japanese. Looks like a little dragon.
- Khaleesi - Fictional name. This name is from the hit series Game of Thrones. Khaleesi means Mother of Dragons.
- Malinda - English. Black or dark serpent.
- Medus - Latin. The Gorgon who had snakes instead of hair. She was known for her beauty until she was cursed.
- Melusine - German. A freshwater spirit who appeared as a serpent from the waist down.
- Ryoko - Japanese. This name means she who is like a dragon.
- Tanis - Greek. Serpent lady.
- Tiamat - Babylonian. Tiamat was a dragon goddess who would create chaos.
- Wyvern - Anglo-Saxon. A wyvern is a two-legged or bipedal dragon famous in European folklore.
- Vyara - Bulgarian. Faith or belief.
- Zafira - Arabic. Success. A Dragonborn name from Dungeons & Dragons.
Dragon Boy Names
- Apalala - Hindi. Apalala is the water dragon from Buddhist mythology.
- Apep - Egyptian. The name of a giant evil serpent. Apep means to slither.
- Attor - Old English. Poison or venom.
- Cadmus - Greek. Dragon teeth.
- Chua - Native American/Hopi. Snake.
- Dracul - Romanian. Dragon or devil.
- Drago - Italian. A version of the Latin name Draco for dragon.
- Drake - English. Dragon.
- Fraener - Old Norse. The story goes, he was a dwarf who was turned into a dragon.
- George - Greek. The name George means farmer. But Saint George is known in British history as a legendary knight who slew dragons.
- Longwei - Chinese. Dragon greatness.
- Nithe - Old Norse. Dragon or serpent.
- Ormr - Old Norse. Dragon, serpent, or snake.
- Quetzalcoatl - Aztec. Feathered serpent. He was one of the Aztec sky gods.
- Ryuu - Japanese. Dragon.
- Shesha - Sanskrit. King of the serpents.
- Slayer - English. One who kills. We often think of knights who valiantly slay dragons.
- Tatsuya - Japanese. Tatsuya means the accomplished one, and the name is linked to the Japanese sign of the dragon.
- Veles - Slavic. The god of the underworld as well as dragons and trickery. He often appeared in a serpent form.
- Viper - Latin. King of snakes.
Gender-Neutral Dragon Names
- Arrow - English. A projectile from a bow. Dragonslayer arrows are potent tools in the video game Dark Souls.
- Azar - Hebrew. Flame.
- Blaze - Latin. Fire.
- Boruta - Polish. To fight. The Boruta are from Slavic mythology and were said to protect the animals and the plants of the forest. When Christianity came to eastern Europe, the Boruta were named demons.
- Brande - Czech. This unisex name means a dweller of a burned clearing.
- Chance - English. Good fortune.
- Danbala - Haitian. Sky god.
- Devlin - Irish. Unlucky. Traditionally on lists for baby boy names, we think this one could work for a baby girl too.
- Ember - French. Spark. Burning low.
- Iseul - Korean. Morning dew or morning born.
- Kenna - English. Born of fire.
- Kirin - Sanskrit. Ray of light.
- Knucker - Old English. This name is used in Beowulf to describe a water dragon. Knucker is probably not a name we’ll see trending on any lists, but we think it could be cute for boys and girls (or maybe the pet dog!).
- Orochi - Japanese. An eight-headed serpent from Japanese lore.
- Pachua - Native American/Hopi. This name means feathered water snake.
- Scylla - Greek. A mythological sea serpent.
- Shenron - Japanese. Dragon god. A character from Dragon Ball.
- Syrax - Irish. A dragon from the book Of Ice and Fire.
- Sol - Spanish. Sun. The perfect name for a fire-breathing baby!
- Valryon - Latin. Strength and health. A dragon once owned by the Targaryen family in Game of Thrones.
Fictional & Famous Dragon Names
- Arman - Arabic. Male. The ultimate goal or greatest desire. Arman is a human/dragon character from the film He’s a Dragon.
- Arya - Persian. Female. Friend or faithful. Arya is the princess in the book Eragon.
- Daenerys - Fictional name. Female. This name is from the series Game of Thrones. Daenerys is the Mother of Dragons.
- Diaval - English/Irish. Male. Devil. The name is used in the Disney film Maleficent.
- Draco - Greek. Male. Dragon. Draco Malfoy is the boy we love to hate in the Harry Potter Series.
- Elliot - English. Male. The Lord is my God. Elliot is a variation of the Hebrew name Elijah. Elliot is the delightful dragon in the classic Disney film Pete’s Dragon.
- Errol - Scottish. Male. Wandering. Errol is a swamp dragon in the book Guards! Guards!
- Eragon - Fictional name. Eragon is the protagonist in the book of the same name about a teenager who finds a dragon egg.
- Eustace - Greek. Male. Fruitful or productive. Eustace was a dragon from the Chronicles of Narnia series.
- Falkor - Norse. Male. Guardian of the people. Falkor is the dragon from the classic movie The Never Ending Story, he is considered the dragon of luck.
- Figment - Latin. Male. Imagination. Figment is the mischievous purple dragon who has become a mascot for Epcot at Disney World in Florida.
- Haku - Japanese. Master or overlord. Haku is the name of the river guardian who also takes the form of a dragon in the anime film Spirited Away.
- Ladon - Greek. Male. Ladon was the hydra or the one-hundred-headed dragon in Greek mythology.
- Maleficent - Latin/English. Female. Harmful or evil. Maleficent is the evil sorceress who turns herself into a dragon in Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.
- Mushu - Chinese. Male. Fearless, loyal, and intelligent. Mushu is the name of the dragon sidekick in Mulan.
- Pendragon - English. Male. Pendragon comes from the Arthurian legend tales. It means head dragon or chief dragon.
- Rhaegal - Fictional name. Male. Rhaegal is a dragon from the series Game of Thrones.
- Saphira - English. Saphira is a take on the name Sapphire which means blue gemstone. She is a central character in Eragon.
- Thorn - Old English. Thorn brush. Thorn is a dragon from the series Dragonvale World.
- Vritra - Hindu. Male. Vritra is a dragon demon that is the personification of drought and adversary.
Ice Dragon & Fire Dragon Names
- Aiden - Irish. Male. Little spark or little fire. Aiden comes from Aodh, the Celtic god of fire.
- Aine - Irish. Female. Bright and fiery.
- Alev - Turkish. Male. Fire.
- Alina - Slavic. Female. Bright and beautiful.
- Brenna - Celtic. Female. Blazing light.
- Brenton - Old English. Unisex. Fire or flame.
- Edna - Hebrew. Female. Fiery red.
- Eirwen - Welsh. Female. Blessed name. A dragon name that is used in Game of Thrones.
- Egan - Irish. Male. Little fire.
- Idris - Hindi. Fiery.
- Kai - Scottish. Male. Fire.
- Katla - Icelandic. Female. Katla is a dragon from the children’s book The Brothers Lionheart. It is also the name of a volcano in Iceland.
- Kimba - Aboriginal. Female. Bush fire.
- Lumi - Finnish. Female. Snow. Lumi is a character from Dragonvale.
- Nieves - Spanish. Female. Snow.
- Nuri - Hebrew. Female. My fire. Nuri is the Dragon Queen from the video game series Dragon Rage.
- Orinda - Anglo-Saxon. Fire serpent.
- Reese - Welsh. Unisex. Born of fire. Ardent.
- Tanwen - Welsh. Female. White fire.
- Tyson - French. Unisex. Fiery tempered or high-spirited.
Looking for more baby names and inspiration? Check out our Baby Name Center.
Considering one of these names? Pin it to save it for later:
About the author
L. Elizabeth Forry
L. Elizabeth Forry is an Early Childhood Educator with 15 years of classroom experience and is the mom of two creative and crazy boys.
View more articles from this author
Okami (淤加美神, Okami-no-kami) in the Kojiki, or in the Nihon Shoki: Kuraokami (闇龗) or Okami (龗), is a legendary Japanese dragon and Shinto deity of ice, rain, snow and winter .Who is the God of all dragons? ›
Bahamut is a child of the dragon god Io. He is also referred to as the God of Dragons or the Lord of the North Wind.Who is the king of all dragon? ›
In Chinese mythology, Longwang (龍王) lords over the seas and is known as the “Dragon King.” He is a fearsome guardian deity who controls all dragons, sea creatures, the oceans, and the weather. Although he has a temper, Longwang is seen as a symbol of good fortune and the mythological embodiment of the concept of yang.What is a snow dragon called? ›
The Frost Dragon (scientifically known as Draco Occidentalis Maritimus) is a dragon which lives in the polar habitats of the arctic and antarctic.What is the strongest dragon name? ›
Klauth is most infamous for killing other ancient dragons that rival or threaten to surpass his own power. As a result, he is without question the strongest of all the ancient dragons. He even has the power to cast spells.Who is the dragon god of fire? ›
Ignia (イグニア Igunia), also known as The Fire Dragon God (炎神竜 Enjinryū), is one of the Five Dragon Gods that inhabit the continent of Guiltina. He is the biological son of the Fire Dragon King Igneel.
Igneel (イグニール Igunīru) was a Dragon known as The Fire Dragon (火竜 Karyū) and The Fire Dragon King (炎竜王 Enryūō). He was the foster father of Natsu Dragneel and the father of Ignia.Who is the Japanese god of dragons? ›
Definition. Ryujin (aka Ryu-o) is the dragon king, sea god, and master of serpents in Japanese mythology.What is a 5 headed dragon called? ›
Tiamat is a supremely strong and powerful 5-headed draconic goddess in the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The name is taken from Tiamat, a goddess in ancient Mesopotamian mythology.Who is the Japanese god of fire? ›
Ho-musubi, also called Kagu-tsuchi, or Hi-no-kami, in the Shintō religion of Japan, a god of fire. His mother, the female creator Izanami, was fatally burned giving birth to him; and his father, Izanagi, cut him into pieces, creating several new gods.
Known to be the only person to ever match Roger in battle, Whitebeard's strength was immeasurable. According to Sengoku, he held the power to destroy the world while Garp openly acknowledged him as the King of the Seas. Whitebeard was, undoubtedly, stronger than Dragon.Who is the strongest dragon god? ›
1/10 Acnologia Is The Self-Proclaimed Dragon King
Acnologia was once a human who used his Dragon Slaying powers so much that he turned into a Dragon himself. His power was without equal for over four hundred years. He was known to destroy entire nations at will and even the most powerful of Dragons were wary of him.
Null (pronounced: /ˈnʊl/ NUL) was the dragon god of death and undeath with two aspects, The Reaver and the Guardian of the Lost. As the Reaver, he was worshiped by evil dragons and took lives, blessing those who served him in this capacity.Who is the oldest true dragon? ›
Veldanava (ヴェルダナーヴァ, Verudanāva?), known as Star King Dragon (星王竜, Seiōryū?) is the first True Dragon and the father of Milim Nava.Who are the 8 Dragon Kings? ›
Vasuki is Shiva's snake, depicted around his neck. He is known in Chinese and Japanese mythology as being one of the "eight Great Dragon Kings" (八大龍王 pinyin: Bādà lóngwáng; Japanese: Hachidai Ryūō), amongst Nanda (Nāgarāja), Upananda, Sāgara (Shakara), Takshaka, Balavan, Anavatapta, and Utpala.Who is the queen of all dragons? ›
The mother and queen of all dragons – Daenerys Targaryen AKA Khaleesi – played by the brilliant Emilia Clarke.What is a rainbow dragon called? ›
Hong or jiang (Chinese: 虹; pinyin: hóng or jiàng; Wade–Giles: hung or chiang; lit. 'rainbow') is a two-headed dragon in Chinese mythology, comparable with rainbow serpent legends in various cultures and mythologies.What is a water dragon called? ›
Sea serpent, a type of sea monster that is sometimes known as the Water Dragon. Water dragon, animal species in the genus Physignathus. Australian water dragon, Physignathus lesueurii. Chinese water dragon, Physignathus cocincinus.What is a sky dragon called? ›
Yong (Mireu) A sky dragon, essentially the same as the Chinese lóng. Like the lóng, yong and the other Korean dragons are associated with water and weather.Who is the strongest dragon in fiction? ›
R2 strongest dragon Strongest dragon from any medium, whether that be tv, movie, video game, anime, etc. Some that come to mind: Acnologia(Fairy Tail), Ddraig (high school dxd), Alduin (skyrim), Dnd dragons.
9 Ancalagon the Black (The Silmarillion)
He was said to be as big as a mountain, and the largest dragon who ever existed. Like other dragons, Ancalagon could breathe fire, which was said to be hotter than the flames of any other dragon.
There are four types of dragon in Greek mythology--the serpentine Dracones, the marine Cetea, the fire-breathing Chimaera and the she-monster Dracaenae.What is the cold dragon? ›
ColdDragon formulations are intumescent surface coatings that protect materials from direct exposure to flame.Is ice stronger than dragon? ›
Dragon Types are weak to Ice Types because dragons theoretically, are reptiles. Since reptiles are cold-blooded when they get cold, their bodies start to slow down. If they get too cold they could die, which is why Ice has an advantage against Dragon.Who is god of ice? ›
Boreas (Βορέας, Boréas; also Βορρᾶς, Borrhás) was the Greek god of the cold north wind and the bringer of winter. His name meant "North Wind" or "Devouring One". His name gives rise to the adjective "boreal". Tengliu, Snow goddess from Chinese mythology.Who are the 5 dragon Kings? ›
The Five Dragon Kings are Tiamat, Yu-Long, Vritra, Midgardsormr, and Fafnir.Who was the first dragon god? ›
The First Dragon God is the first generation Dragon God whose name is not revealed. Under his leadership, Dragon Tribe became the most powerful beings in the Dragon World and through this, he is recognized as the ruler of the Dragon World. He is also the husband of Lunaria and the father of Orsted.Who kills a dragon? ›
A dragonslayer is a person or being that slays dragons. Dragonslayers and the creatures they hunt have been popular in traditional stories from around the world: they are a type of story classified as type 300 in the Aarne–Thompson classification system.Who is the greatest dragon? ›
Vhagar. Born on Dragonstone before Aegon conquered Westeros, Vhagar is the largest dragon alive and is about 181 years old. During House of the Dragon, she is thought to be around the size Balerion was during Aegon's Conquest, giving a decisive advantage to any army.Who is the most beautiful dragon? ›
Sunfyre had gleaming gold scales, which shone like beaten gold in the sunlight, and pale pink wing membranes. His flames were golden as well. According to Archmaester Gyldayn, Sunfyre was the most beautiful dragon ever seen in the known world.
|Children||Kingu, Lahamu, Lahmu|
The Korean Dragon is called a yong, and there are three main types: Yong is the most powerful and protects the sky. Yo is hornless and lives in the ocean.Who is the god of crystal dragons? ›
Sardior (pronounced: /ˈsɑːrdiɔːr/ SAR-dee-or) was the dragon god of night, psionics, and secrets, and he was also the Master of gem dragons.What are the 7 dragons? ›
By mastering the Seven Dragons (congruence, overwhelm, decision procrastination, attention deficit, resistance, financial, unworthiness) we open ourselves up to a world of abundance.What is a 100 headed dragon called? ›
THE DRAKON HESPERION (Hesperian Dragon) was a hundred-headed serpent named Ladon tasked with guarding the golden apples of the Hesperides and tormenting the heavens-bearing Titan Atlas.What are the 7 classes of dragons? ›
The seven classes are Boulder, Mystery, Sharp, Stoker, Strike, Tidal and Tracker.Who is the strongest fire god? ›
Vulcan, in Roman religion, god of fire, particularly in its destructive aspects as volcanoes or conflagrations. Poetically, he is given all the attributes of the Greek Hephaestus.Who is the king of fire mythology? ›
Who is Prometheus? In Greek mythology, Prometheus is one of the Titans, the supreme trickster, and a god of fire. In common belief, he developed into a master craftsman, and in this connection, he was associated with fire and the creation of mortals.Who is the god of blue fire? ›
|Children||With Xantico: Xiuhxoxoauhqui (blue fire), Xiuhcozauhqui (yellow fire), Xiuhiztac (white fire) and Xiuhtlatlauhqui (red fire)|
1. Caraxes - ridden by Daemon Targaryen in 'House of the Dragon' Caraxes was a "huge huge" red dragon that was both massive and lean, while being quite "battle savvy". He was first claimed by Aemon Targaryen, Prince of Peyredragon in 72 AD.
The Game of Thrones dragons are Drogon, Rhaegal, and Viserion. Drogon is the dragon that Daenerys herself rides.What is the coolest dragon ever? ›
- Eborsisk - Willow (1988) ...
- Falkor - The Neverending Story (1984) ...
- King Ghidorah - Godzilla (1964 - 2019) ...
- Hungarian Horntail - Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire (2005) ...
- Mother Dragon - Sucker Punch (2011) ...
- Granamyr - He-Man & The Masters Of The Universe (1983)
The "Dragon of Death" was a massive submarine fashioned after a giant sea-monster built by Imperial Japan during World War II. It was piloted by Captain Okada and stationed in the Pacific near Honolulu, Hawaii.Who was the first dragon God? ›
The First Dragon God is the first generation Dragon God whose name is not revealed. Under his leadership, Dragon Tribe became the most powerful beings in the Dragon World and through this, he is recognized as the ruler of the Dragon World. He is also the husband of Lunaria and the father of Orsted.What is the largest mythical dragon? ›
Ancalagon, often titled "The Black", was the greatest of all winged dragons. He was bred by Morgoth during the First Age and was the largest dragon to have ever existed in Middle-earth.